Part 2 - RUN LIKE HELL!We're flirtin' with disaster, ya'll know what I mean
And the way we run our lives it makes no sense to me
I don't know about yourself or what you wanna to be, yeah
When we gamble with our time we choose our destiny...(Molly Hatchet, 1979)
Yesterday, we looked briefly at the possibility of pitfalls when people play with fire by indulging in what they think is "innocent" flirtation in offices. This is not limited to offices, but men of God and pastors face the same thing when the council females of any age, one on one in their offices. Neither of these actions are wise at all - no way!
I believe in the Sufficiency of Scripture, in that, the Bible has both the illustrations and the examples for us to learn from, glean and then follow as we seek to improve and grow as men and women of God. There are two perfect examples of Temptation and let us look how each person involved dealt with it.
JOSEPH (Genesis 39: 1-12) was tempted by the boss' wife while serving Potiphar, the head official in Egypt. He was obviously a lot younger and a single man so Potiphar's wife began to eye him. She made several blunt approaches and, with integrity, he politely but firmly, declined them all. The final time she tried to seduce him, she actually laid her hands on him and grabbed his coat as he escaped her evil clutches. Joseph, for lack of better terms, ran like hell!
EVE (Genesis 3:1-6) was negotiating with a snake who told the first lies of Creation. He deceived her. She took the forbidden fruit and offered it to the man, Adam, who stood there and watched the entire thing without saying a word, and they both ate it. This was in direct defiance and disobedience to the Word of God and here we are today.
Eve will stand.
Joseph paid a temporary price.
Eve brought the entire race down.
Joseph later gave life and food to many because God favored him.
Eve led and will lead billions to hell for their sins against Holy God.
How can people avoid this? How can we NOT flirt with disaster? Without writing an entire book on this, which I can do, here are some bullet point steps:
TO AVOID FLIRTING WITH DISASTER:
- Realize that, as the song says above, in certain ways, we DO "choose our destiny". The devil tempted Eve and lied and twisted her thinking but here is what the Bible says "So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. (Genesis 3:6 ESV)...
- Realize therefore, the devil CANNOT make you do it. You can walk away! Do NOT negotiate with sin! Do not stand there when she bats her sexy eyes and asks you to lunch, and say "I will think about it, when the answer is NO, I can't go to lunch with you, I am a married man"! Here is what God says you should do from James 4:7 "Submit therefore to God and stand against Satan, and he will flee from you (Aramaic Bible - Jesus spoke Aramaic).
- Realize the devil is a coward and when you call on everything you have learned from years of church, small group or even if you do not go to church...there were some things called "Marriage vows" - rebuke the sorry son of perdition, Satan and his female acolyte he sent to tempt you and watch him leave you alone! But you have to mean it!
- Realize the devil will only get what you give him. Give him nothing. Give him a firm stand against sin and then give him Jesus, the Name of Jesus and the Word of Jesus to "get thee behind me Satan".
- Realize, when all else fails, you can still run like the wind! Flee immortality, my friends, do not flirt with trouble! Life is full enough of some major stuff, let's not bring pain, emotional scars and suffering to our loved ones by this kind of garbage.
- Realize that we MUST guard our hearts as we are commanded by a God who said this: “For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the LORD, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless.”(Malachi 2:16 ESV). The Lord is saying here "make sure all your flanks are covered" and especially your mind. Don't be flattered that the best looking person in the office or wherever is making a play for you. This is a test of your character, so let us not fail the One Who died for us on the Cross!
Finally do not soil the Testimony God has given you, for the passing cheap thrills of expensive perfume and flesh, which mask the stench of death and destruction.
Father God, in the Name of Jesus, help us to understand Your Word, Your commands to us, Your demand that we walk in Holiness and Righteousness and never let us take our eyes of the Prize of Christ. Lord, You know that sometimes we are weak and the evil one can attack when we are distracted and not expecting a full assault on our hearts, minds and our very souls. Give us the strength to remember Jesus and do as He did, quote the Word back to evil and just say "it is written" and Father God, that Word, Your Word, will be all we need to rebuke sin, the flesh and the devil and flee the other way, so that we will be free from the fruits of unrighteousness all the days of our lives, in Jesus Holy and Mighty and Strong Name, amen and amen!
(images by google images)