This is the opening weekend for a brand new action movie of the Cristero War in Mexico, less than 100 years ago. FOR GREATER GLORY opened in selected theaters nationwide on June 1. While it may not sell as many tickets as fictional pap like Men in Black or some such thing, this true account of a well-hidden event in western history should shock many.
The timeless war of Good versus Evil is evident in this movie about Faith and the Fall of man. The stunning fact about this incident in Mexican history is that it was wiped clean from their history books by successive governments, who did not want their citizens to know of the Socialist government attempt to eliminate both God and the Church from Mexico from 1924-1929! It was not until 1992, when things were fully corrected and the draconian marxist mandates and laws were removed from the laws of Mexico!
Briefly, the story revolves around Leftist dictator Plutarco Calles (Ruben Blades) and his government's edict to shut down ALL church services; deport all foreign born priests, pastors, missionaries and ministers and allow NO MORE religious expression in Mexico! He succeeded for many years because his "Federales" troops systematically set about seizing church property; killing priests and worshipers and burning down churches! This sparked a rebellion among the common people, whose very lives and existence were affected and led to the CRISTERO war.
Civil war broken out when a rogue priest named Father Vega and his sidekick general "Catorce" began successfully raiding government outposts. They then enlisted the services of a military genius - General Gorostieta (actor Andy Garcia) - an atheist, to train a ragtag army who, while he initially did not believe in God, soon got fully sold out to the timeless concept of Religious Freedom! Gorostieta died a believer with a big smile on his face!
This was the time of the Communists taking power in Russia and Bolsheviks/Marxists' attempt to conquer a lot of the depressed world! America was the only prosperous nation back in these Roaring 1920's!
You will see many themes in this more than 2 hour movie. The following struck me:
- With men of conviction, freedom is either absolute, or it means nothing.
- You can not compromise with the beliefs of the world or it will slowly devour you.
- Whenever possible, at all times, live in peace and forgiveness in your heart.
- God is sovereign and determines the destiny of each individual man and woman.
- Though many martyrs have lost their lives, and many more will (before the Return of Christ), this world is not our home. Happy and eternal life await all true believers and God will destroy those who persecute His saints. Fiery judgments are not just for people like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Chavez and Castro but for any whose sins are not confessed and forgiven by the Pure and Cleansing Blood of the Lamb of God - Jesus Christ.
Verdict on "FOR GREATER GLORY" - Two thumbs up and 4 and 1/2 stars!FOR GREATER GLORY was directed by big name Hollywood Director Dean Wright, who worked on huge blockbuster movies like Titanic; Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia! Prepare to be shocked and dismayed by what you see. RATED R for violence only, this is not a movie for the week.
This is a movie for those of us who believe in Religious Liberty and the Freedom to Live for Christ here daily, in the United States, and to practice openly in the market square, the absolute rights given by God and the US Constitution, which guarantees the Free Exercise of Religion!
Post a Comment